At Harbour Primary we have a clear vision for our school which unites staff, governors, families and children. We share a determination that all children will achieve the very best that they can in our welcoming, creative, inclusive community. We give every child, every chance, every day.
We place a strong emphasis on family and community, and are committed to the promotion of our children’s spiritual, moral, social, cultural and academic development valuing all children, parents and staff equally as individuals.
The Harbour Primary Vision
At Harbour we are determined that all children will achieve the very best that they can in our welcoming, creative, inclusive community.
We give every child, every chance, every day.
- We aim to provide the very best possible standards of teaching and learning across the school. Our staff receive regular timely professional development, and are approachable, friendly and caring.
- We aim to provide many exciting learning opportunities that enable our children to be curious, ask questions, take risks, enjoy their learning and be ready to take the next steps in their learning journey.
- We aim to ensure that our school is welcoming and open. We celebrate diversity and nurture difference, aiming for all of our children to become confident and tolerant global citizens of the future.
- We are truly inclusive and have high aspirations for each child, aiming for all to have the opportunity to develop their unique gifts and talents.
- We aim to provide a happy, safe, supportive, stimulating and challenging environment that promotes the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of our children as well as their academic progress.
- We ensure that the curriculum is broad, balanced, relevant, appropriate, progressive and modern, and that it is differentiated for individual children.
- We seek to empower our staff, learners and their families by providing high quality opportunities for all to use a wide variety of modern technology across all aspects of our school life. ICT is planned for across all areas of the curriculum to support, enrich and extend learning.
Our values are linked to our Golden Code and Our School Motto and include;
I am important and so are you Uniqueness, friendship, self-esteem, tolerance, equality
I am gentle, kind and polite to everyone, Kindness, courtesy, caring
I am honest, Truthfullness, trust, honesty
I am a good listener and learner, Commitment, excellence, high aspirations
I respect my own and others’ property Respect, responsibility, integrity
I try my best and play my part. Perseverance, effort, high aspirations, hard work
CURIOUSITY is highly valued at Harbour (see 'Our School Motto')
Promoting British Values at Harbour Primary & Nursery School
The DfE have recently reinforced the need “to create and enforce a clear and rigorous expectation on all schools to promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.”
At Harbour these values are reinforced regularly and in the following ways:
We listen to everybody, talk thoughtfully and know that people have different views. We accept the results of a vote.
We have a school council which meets every month to discuss issues raised in class council meetings. The council has its own budget and is genuinely able to effect change within the school. Every child on the school council is voted in by their class. We have an annual election where the children form parties that the rest of the school vote for. As part of our P4C lessons (Philosophy for Children), the children regularly have to vote for which ‘juicy question’ to investigate further, and this forms the start of debating skills.
The Rule of LawWe know our school rules and understand why it is important to follow them and why there can be consequences.
The importance of laws, whether they be those that govern the class, the school, or the country, are consistently reinforced at Harbour. Pupils are taught from an early age the rules of the school. These are our Golden Code. Pupils are taught the value and reasons behind rules and laws, that they govern and protect us, the responsibilities that this involves and the consequences when laws are broken. Visits from authorities such as the Police and Fire Service help reinforce this message. Our Y6 ‘Truly Trusted’ children act as role models for the whole school, playing an active part in reinforcing our Golden Code.
We know our voice will be heard and we know we have to listen to other people’s voices too.
At Harbour, pupils are actively encouraged to make choices, knowing that they are in a safe and supportive environment. As a school we educate and provide boundaries for young pupils to make informed choices, through a safe environment and an empowering education. Pupils are encouraged to know, understand and exercise their rights and personal freedoms and advised how to exercise these safely, for example through our P4C (Philosophy for Children), eSafety and PSHEe lessons.
Mutual Respect and Tolerance of those of Different Faiths and Beliefs
I understand and respect myself and people around me
Mutual respect is at the heart of our values. Children learn that their behaviours have an effect on their own rights and those of others. All members of the school community treat each other with respect. The first of our Golden Code reads: ‘I am important and so are you’
We actively promote diversity through our learning about and celebrations of different faiths and cultures. Religious Education lessons and PSHEe lessons reinforce messages of tolerance and respect for others. Members of different faiths and religions are encouraged to share their knowledge to enhance learning within classes and the school. The children visit places of worship that are important to different faiths.
Our values are exemplified within our ‘Golden Code’ for behaviour in all ways.
Our Golden Code
I am important and so are you
I am gentle, kind and polite to everyone,
I am honest,
I am a good listener and learner,
I respect my own and others’ property
I try my best and play my part.
We have a short and simple school motto and expect all staff, parents and children to remember that at Harbour Primary we aim for everyone to ask questions, be keen and eager to learn, be inquisitive, be enquiring and to appreciate the wonder of discovering something new and different.
Harbour Primary School Motto
‘Always be Curious’ (our ABC)
Our school is full of joy and passion and a place where children can learn to become anything!